Skip to main content

Types of dangerous structure

Under Section 77 of the Building Act 1984 Building Control has powers to deal with a building or structure which is in a potentially dangerous condition.

However, if the danger relates to trees, pavements or public highways please contact  Surrey County Council here.

To report a dangerous structure

If it doesn't pose an immediate danger to public safety use our simple online form which will go directly to our business support team inbox or call 0330 024 9355 during office hours. To report an urgent dangerous structure out of office hours call 01883 722000.

How we deal with dangerous structures

Under the Building Act we deal with dangerous structures reported to us so they don't pose a danger to public safety.

  • when we receive a report, one of our building control surveyors visits site as soon as possible to assess the danger and any risks
  • if immediate action is needed to remove the danger, under Section 78 of the Act we can remove the danger. For example if a wall is in danger of collapse we can have the structure demolished or barricaded off
  • if on inspection the structure is found in poor condition but not dangerous, we advise the owner or if necessary serve notice under Section 77.  We serve notice by applying to the Magistrates’ Court, asking the owner to make repairs within a reasonable time.