Some work can be carried out without informing building control provided you use a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) registered installer.
An installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with building regulations and should both notify the local authority of the work and issue you with a certificate of compliance under the building regulations either directly or through their scheme operator.
If you don't receive your certificate within 30 days of completion, contact the Competent Person Scheme operator that your installer is registered with and they may be able to help you resolve the matter.
If you don't use an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme then you will have to submit a building notice and pay a fee so that we can arrange inspection of the work for you.
To find an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme in your area or check that your chosen installer is with a scheme visit www.competentperson.co.uk and enter your postcode or the name of the installer in the relevant search box.
This is a list of the types of work covered by Competent Person Schemes.
- Installation of cavity wall insulation
- Installation of solid wall insulation
- Installation of gas appliances
- Installation or replacement of hot water and heating systems connected to gas appliances
- Installation or replacement of a heating or hot water system connected to an electric heat source
- Installation of fixed air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
- Any electrical installation work in dwellings
- Electrical installation work only in association with other work (e.g. kitchen installations, boiler installations)
- Replacement windows, doors, roof windows, or roof lights in dwellings
- Installation of plumbing and water supply systems and bathrooms and sanitary ware
- Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs (not including solar panels)
- Installation of microgeneration or renewable technologies